Friend: Hey Amy- do you watch Castle?The fact that so many of my friends recommended the show to me should have been a warning that once I started I would be hooked. I haven't watched Castle up to this point for only one reason- time. I have a hard enough time forcing myself to do my homework with my already existing obsessions (Bones, Criminal Minds, an out of control to-be-read pile of books) that I just didn't have time for one more thing.
Me: No, I don't.
Friend: You should, I really think you would like it. It's your kind of show.
Me: I've heard that from multiple people. One of these days I'll watch it.
A few months ago I found the first season on clearance so I picked it up thinking I'd watch it when I had time. As soon as Spring semester was over I started watching it. Here's a quick intro into the show if you don't know what it's about-
As expected once I got started watching I got sucked into the awesomeness that is Castle. I love this show!!
Why do I love Castle? Let me give you just a few reasons-
- I'm a crime show junkie so a best selling mystery novelist following a NYD detective around for inspiration is right up my alley.
- Richard Castle, who is played by the brilliant Nathan Fillion, has quickly become one of my favorite tv characters. He is cocky and obnoxious and sweet and funny and loving and all kinds of other things that I could list but won't. Let's just say he's fabulous and be done with it ;)
- Kate Beckett, played by the gorgeous Stana Katic, is a kick-ass heroine. She is a very tough cop, but is also very flawed and broken. Trying to balance these traits is a very difficult task, one that Kate doesn't quite have control of yet. Her struggles make her a wonderful character to watch. In addition to her internal struggle she also doesn't take any crap from Castle, which makes for great laughs.
- The oh-my-goodness-will-they-or-won't-they kind of tension that Castle and Beckett have. Wowza!! Those two have some serious chemistry!
- The rock solid support cast- Jon Huertas, Molly Quinn, Susan Sullivan, Tamala Jones, Seamus Dever and Penny Johnson are phenomenal! They all have their own stories and we get just enough bits and pieces of those stories that we are invested in their lives as well as the action, adventure and romance of Castle and Beckett.
- I want to be friends with these characters!! (In my head, I am. That's the beauty of fictional characters, isn't it?)
- I adore the relationships among all the characters- partners, mother-son, father-daughter, friends, co-workers and lovers. I have to give special mention to the father-daughter relationship between Castle and Alexis. Their relationship is very endearing ♥
- The writing of Castle is so good. Each episode has it's own mystery but there are other story lines woven into all of the episodes. Those other stories are what draw the audience in and make us watch.
I could go on and on but I won't because that would be boring and make me seem a little too fangirly. Let's just say that even though I'm late to the Castle party I'm now a huge fan.
I shouldn't admit this but I'm going to anyway- I blazed through the first four seasons just in time for the season four finale. (Please don't judge me, I don't usually watch that much television EVER) By the time the finale came to an end I was a blubbering, swooning mess!!
I'm so excited for Season Five- is it September yet?!?!